SDL XML Professional Publisher (SDL XPP)
Formerly known as XyEnterprise XPP, the developer has been acquired by SDL in 2009 and became the publisher software package in SDL Structure Content Management solution. SDL is the recognized leader in Global Information Management with over 2,000 employees in 50 offices across 30 countries.
SDL XPP is a highly scalable, reliable and programmable software solution that has become a key component of some of the most sophisticated, high-volume production publishing systems in use throughout the world today. SDL XPP has been delivering proven solutions for global leaders in the publishing, financial, government, high tech, aerospace and defense industries for over 25 years. Implemented as a standalone solution, or integrated with SDL Contenta, SDL LiveContent or other content management system, XPP provides a powerful end-to-end XML publishing solution.
SDL XPP excels in the production of high-volume, complex publications requiring rapid turnaround, text and graphics input from multiple sources, and output in a variety of formats and media. Typical documents produced with XPP include scientific journals, industrial catalogs, directories, legal and financial documents, textbooks, and technical manuals.
SDL XPP is built upon an open, scalable, multi-tier industrial standard architecture. Our documented application programming interfaces (API’s) provide an array of integration options including COM, CORBA and increasingly, Web Services/Soap.
SDL XPP enjoy support of world – class customer base of leaders representing vertical industries. Such as :
- Technical manuals : Boeing, Gulfstream, Sikorsky, Australian Air force, IBM
- Journal publications : LexisNesis, Toppan-Bestset, Thomson Publishing
- Financial document : IFN Financial Press, Toppan Vite Ltd, iOne Financial Press
- Provides support for loose-leaf publishing
- Automates publishing of complex documents
- Eliminates manual processes associated with desktop publishing programs
- Shortens page turnaround time by streamlining the process of turning
- XML, SGML and many other data types into print-ready PostScript and PDFs
- Increases production throughput
- Eases administration of style sheets for multiple languages and media
- Improves typographic quality, helping enforce brand standards
- Supports batch and interactive workflows
The proposed SDL XPP System has the capability to meet with Powell Financial Press requirement, the features shall be included as follows:
- Automatic placement of all page elements
- Automatic numbering and cross-referencing of sections, subsections, tables, footnotes, and illustrations
- Mixed column formats on a single page
- Automatic generation of running headers and footers
- Automatic anchoring of a collection of elements or graphics to a reference point on a page
- Automatic widow and orphan control
- Automatic vertical line spacing for specifying the priority level and minimum/maximum vertical space bandwidths
- Unlimited number of page layouts within a document
Interactive Page Layout
- Users can interactively modify the page design of any element on a page including text and text block rotation, screened and colored backgrounds, and page elements outside the page boundaries.
- Users are able to control the “ripple effect” of edits and eliminate unwanted changes to other pages.
- With options for locking page elements, users can perform tasks such as reflowing text without relocating graphics, modifying constant data such as running heads and folios, and greatly reducing the cost of updating text material.
SDL XPP is designed for publishing professionals who require high-quality typographic controls. It separates content from style and places style in separate, reusable, easily managed style libraries. This approach allows rapid shifting between styles, for example between U.S. and European page sizes.
Standard composition features include:
- User-definable commands (processing instructions) to automate complex typographic functions
- Ability to use Perl programming to automate formatting
- Granular formatting control, including track and pair kerning, word, letter, and interline spacing, and aesthetic ragging
- Irregular text runarounds
- Automatic ligature replacement
- Automatic accent replacement
- Auto-sizing of boxes around text
- Rotated text and page elements
A standard feature of SDL XPP that enables users to create an entire publication by placing a file into a watched directory. Autoprocessing establishes background processing queues that:
- Receive text and graphics in multiple formats from external sources
- Initiate first-pass composition and pagination
- Perform spell checking
- Place graphics and other elements in the correct positions on each page within the document
- Send pages to a laser printer for proofing or to create PDF for online review
Support for Graphics
Support for Graphics – SDL XPP supports graphics created in standard formats (EPS, TIFF, JPEG, PDF, SVG, CGM) that are resident in the file system and uses them, as needed, for both screen display and output to PostScript and PDF.
SDL XPP provides both highly automated and highly interactive tabular composition. This combination of tools lets users utilize predefined formats for similar tables, create unique styles for customized tables, and interactively edit both the content and format of any table. SDL XPP supports the CALS table model.
- Automatic table-breaking across columns and pages
- Automatic generation of user-defined continued heads and continuation text
- Straddled text and heads across rows or columns
- Automatic decimal alignment
- Automatic alignment of any character, up to three characters at a time
- Automatic hanging characters in gutters
- User-specified gutter values for individual rows, columns, or an entire table
- Automatic single or double underlining, to width of text or column
- Variable column widths based on widest text, specified proportions, or fixed size
- Variable independent rule weights for left, right, top, and bottom table rules
- Automatic tabular justification vertical or horizontal
- Automatic placement of graphics within tables, and sizing of cells to accommodate graphics
SDL XPP will float graphics or tables to the best space on the page based on rules for placement near call-outs and priorities set for areas on the page. Floating tables can also break across pages, with all the continued head support offered by SDL XPP tabular.
Tints and Patterns
SDL XPP includes a standard Tints & Patterns package supporting both process (CMYK) and spot color definition. Text may be tinted and/ or colored, objects of different shapes (circles, squares, ellipse, etc.) can be created and filled with a tint or pattern, and text blocks can be outlined with round or square concerns and tinted backgrounds.
SDL XPP offers great flexibility in the way footnotes can be formatted, meeting the demanding requirements of legal documents, financial statements, and scientific, technical and medical journal articles.
SDL XPP includes two separate footnote tracks, which can be formatted separately. Footnotes can be placed at the bottom of the page on which they are called out or collected to form end notes at the back of the document. Long footnotes, if necessary, will break across pages. In addition to standard footnotes within tables, SDL XPP supports a separate table note construct that allows note bodies to be placed at the end of the table or at the bottom of a table segment when the table breaks across pages.
- Footnotes below text block where referenced
- Footnote spanning across multiple column pages
- Footnotes paginated at the end of a document
- “Biblical” footnotes set horizontally, left to right, across bottom of page
- Automatic placement of footnote separator
- Control over footnote separator type, style, and spacing
- Two footnote tracks for author’s and editor’s notes with either numbers or symbols
- Both tracks at page bottom or one track at page bottom and other track at chapter end
Mark Trace and Blacklining
SDL XPP’s powerful change tracking to enable the “layering” of edit sessions, providing the ability to roll back to previous stages in the life of the document.
Enables users to print only the pages of a document that have changed since the previous review. Allows review teams to focus only on their areas of interest.
Automatic hyphenation and spell-checking can be purchased on a language by language basis as the requirement arises. SDL XPP offers support for the worlds languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Thai, and Middle Eastern (Hebrew and Arabic), as well as the languages of Europe and Latin America.
Technical Content Management Solutions
Technical content impacts many parts of the sales cycle, and is critical for maintaining products, equipment and assets. Whether you are looking to use DITA to help you scale to meet new, demanding technical content requirements or need S1000D to comply with all regulation, SDL knowledge delivery solutions can be tailored for your objectives.