The term ‘preflight’ refers to the preparation done by pilots before a flight. In the printing industry, preflighting means making sure documents are print-ready. Some of the items in the preflight checklist are:
- Images and graphics are embedded, not corrupt, and are the correct file format and resolution
- Fonts are embedded, not corrupt, and are the correct file format, or outlined
- Color format is correct (CMYK or RGB)
- Required color profiles are included
- Confirm the page layout document size, margins, bleeds, marks and page information
- Confirm that the correct colour separations or ink plates are being output
- Remove non-printing data such as hidden objects and objects outside the printable area
- Flattening transparency
Preflighting greatly reduces the chances of printing mistakes, which saves ink, paper and time. This in turn saves cost and increases productivity. Enfocus is the leading software company specializing in PDF preflight. Well-known product brands include Pitstop, Switch and Connect.
Below are some of the common recurring errors in printing that can be detected and fixed in Enfocus products.
Low resolution images - PitStop Pro detects low resolution images in PDF files and gives you a warning.
Unintended RGB colors - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for RGB objects and automatically converts them to CMYK if you want it to.
Missing Bleed - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for missing bleed. PitStop Pro 13 can also automatically add bleed to a PDF file.
Font issues - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for missing fonts and automatically embeds font from the cloud using the Monotype Baseline service. PitStop Pro checks PDF files for too small text objects and gives you a warning.
White elements set to overprint - PitStop Pro checks if white elements are set to overprint and can automatically set them to "knock-out" if wanted.
Ink coverage too high - PitStop Pro can automatically check ink coverage if it's too high.
Transparency - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for transparency.
Hidden layers - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for hidden layers.
Spot colors - PitStop Pro checks PDF files for spot colors and automatically converts them to CMYK if you want it to.
Deep black - PitStop Pro can reduce or standardize the Rich Black values to your own values.Show me the Enfocus solutions