Electronic informed consent allows medical staff to manage patient consents or any medical treatment authorizations online.
In the past, hospitals manage patient consents using paper forms. Hospital staffs have to store and manage pre-printed consent forms and signed consent forms. Paper consent forms require cost of printing, storing and managing. Furthermore, the signed forms must be manually scanned in to the EMR.
Recently, e-Signature and e-Forms features on mobile devices are used to collect patient signatures for informed consent. When compared to the paper consent, mobile e-consent is much effective way to reduce cost, get patient signatures faster and make the hospital paperless.
Paper consent forms are replaced with electronic forms and the patient is presented with the forms they need to sign on a mobile tablet. And then the e-consent forms guide the patient through the signing process. The patient can create electronic signs on the form with touch pen or finger just as they would with paper consent. The resulting legally signed e-consents can be immediately stored in the EMR. This removes the need for scanning consents and save significant time that is better spent on patient care. And because the consents can be automatically stored to the EMR, authorized staffs can immediately access and review the consents when required anytime.
Benefits of e-consent:
- Patient can review the consent form and consult with advisors or family members without feeling pressure to sign right away
- Patient can review the consent form at their free time and make a more informed decision
- Consent forms can be supplemented with multi-media such as graph, image, sound, and video. This could help patient better understand the operation, treatment, or research than traditional paper consent documents
- Help patient to be more informed and allow doctors or researchers to be more compliant and more ethical
- No in-person appointment and no travel are needed
- Hospital can manage documents electronically (paperless)
For modern hospitals, e-Consent provides a cost-saving, efficient way to collect informed consents, eliminate scanning, and enables paperless hospital.
How it works:
- The medical staff can search for a patient in the e-Consent system and if none exists, enter patient information into the system
- The patient is provided with e-consent forms on mobile devices and they can review the content and create e-signature on the form
- The medical staffs give the patient verbal explanation, record it and create e-signature too
- The system can then provide the patient a printed copy of the signed form, and an electronic copy will be stored in the EMR or EDMS for later review or trusted e-document repository for legal enforcement
- Reception desk also use OZ e-Form multi-screen viewer for fast processing of paperless face-to-face patient service.
Show me the FORCS solutions